Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Dump Cooking


It seems like every ten years or so, a type of cooking becomes popular, promising that it will provide nutrition, save mom time in the kitchen and be easy clean up.



Anybody remember the “Meals In The Freezer” movement? Or the crockpot movement? Caserole Movement? One pule one cooking? Personally, I still practice all of these movements when I

can. I might not be able to have a full 30 day supply of dinners in the freezer, but it is still nice to have five meals in the freezer. Or even one, truth be told.



So how did I misss the “Dump Movement” of cookery? Oh did you miss it too?



The “Dump” method calls for you to have some recipes and supplies like zippered freezer bags, measured amounts of chopped onion etc on hand. Then quickly, because you are dealing with frozen food, package each raw meal and place it in the freezer to freeze solid. When you want to use the meal, let it defrost in your refridgerator all day and then back for about an hour in a caserole dish in your oven. Easy peasy. And the recipes seem really yummy.



The problem for me is one, the use of so many non safe to recycle freezer bags. Second, the components for some of the yummy sauces are bound to stick to the bag and be a real pain to try to get onto the meat. So for me, the “Dump Meals” as they are written, are out. I still plan to cook them, but not in my oven, I plan to get everything ready in my crock pot, and not have to worry about honey sticking to the bags.



But check out this wonderful website for some delicious Dump Recipes:

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is pretty neat. I have seen a few of these before myself on online. I have yet to try it but it sounds like it might be interesting. I could see instead of defrosting it in the fridge just run some hot water over it to get it unstuck from the bag & then dump it in the crockpot for the day. If you use the Seal-A-Meal bags they can be washed and reused several times. I personally wash all of my freezer bags out again and reuse them. Some folks might not like the sound of that but I wash with dish soap and hot water and just a little bit of bleach added to make sure all of the nasties are out. Thanks for the website! Have a great week.

Michele

Mary Bennett said...

Thanks Michelle for your comment. You'll have to let me know how it goes?

Anonymous said...

very good!

katlupe said...

I was just checking your blog to see how you are. It worries me to see that this post is older and you haven't posted a newer one. I pray you are okay! Thinking of you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
468x60 - Gavel - Staticbanner