Monday, May 3, 2010

An Irish Country Girl

I love to read, and there is no book that I anticipate more than a book from the "An Irish Country ......" series. I've read "An Irish Country Doctor," "An Irish Country Village," and "An Irish Country Christmas," so that when "An Irish Country Girl" was published I could hardly wait to read it.
The Irish country girl in this story is Kinky Kincaid while she was the young Maureen O'Hanlon, living in County Cork on the family farm with her parents and siblings. If you have ever wondered what it was like to live in Ireland in the 20th century, up until the mid 1960's, this book will tell you. History, without being bored by it.
It's also a ghost story, an Irish ghost story, and that's the difference. The story begins with Maureen's sister Fidemla being in love with Connor, who made the mistake of cutting down a Blackthorn Tree on November 11th for firewood instead of borrowing some peat for his fire from the O'Hanlons. What is the significance of a Blackthorne Tree and November 11th? Not going to tell you! You are going to have to read the story to find out!
The O'Hanlon family and guests hear a banshee Christmas night; Maureen sees her and so starts her ability of being fey, or having the second sight. Unfortunately, as promised by hearing the banshee, the tragedy of death follows devastating Fidelma for quite a few years and troubling Maureen also.
Despite the sadness, this book isn't all sadness. It is nostalgic also. I don't want to say another word about this story, I just want to encourage you to read it, with two warnings: the first is that when you are done reading this book, you'll be sad that there aren't another 100 pages to it. The second warning is that after you are done with this book, you'll be yearning to find the other "Irish Country Books" by Patrick Taylor.
One word of advice: indulge!






6 comments:

Heather said...

I've heard of this series, but can you believe *I* haven't read it? LOL! Once this semester is over, I may have to pick up a couple of them for summer reading :)

See? You talk about books, and I'm all over it ;) I'm really glad you're blogging, Mary. I love reading these little snippets of everyone's lives. It's very nice :)

Mary Bennett said...

Oh Heatherr, I am so glad you came and visited. You HAVE to read these books, but I have to warn you, you will not do any homework. You'll be reading instead!! And when you're done, you'll be sorry it isn't 100 pages longer.

Lisa said...

Oooh, Mary! Irish romance with ghosts?! I'm getting it! (Thanks for the tip!)

Lily said...

Oooh, I cannot believe you have not read it yet Heather!!! I'm going to look this series up, Mary. Oh and I am having a hard time tracking down Monkey Shine. It is NOT in our library system!

Speaking of blogging, Heather....

Mary Bennett said...

Monkey Shine isn't in the library system, yet. it's going thorugh one more editing, which I didn't know when I recomended it. But it is worth the wait.
You will LOVE all the Irish Country series books. I can NOT wait for the next one.
Just fix yourself a nice cup of tea, and may-be a little plate of cookies, and just relax and enjoy!!!

abroadermark said...

Ack!! I'm kicking myself right now. I found a copy of An Irish Country Doctor at the thrift store the other night. I had it IN MY HAND, then, because I had nothing else in my hand and I didn't want to wait in line to buy one little thing, I put it back on the shelf. And it was only fifty cents! Silly, silly me.

I'm going on a "date" with my hubby tonight. Maybe we'll have a chance to drop by the thrift store and see if the book is still there. I'll keep you posted. :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
468x60 - Gavel - Staticbanner